Traditionally, the travel insurance has been linked to international visits, especially due to the fact that these trips are costly and involve various types of risks. More often than not, individuals ignore the importance of these policies when they travel within India. But, in reality, the travelers may face emergencies due to one reason or another, and this is where domestic travel insurance appears as a saviour. A lot of insurers now allow the individuals to buy domestic travel insurance online.
There are numerous insurers that offer coverage on unforeseen events like baggage loss, trip delays, cancellations, and even accidental demise.
Features and Benefits of Domestic Travel Insurance
As the travel insurance policies cover the risk at a low premium, they are ideal for both frequent business travelers and those who travel once in a while. A lot of individuals, who are financially sound, believe travel insurance is not for them. But, the insurance policies not only offer claims but offer assistance to get out of the emergency and unpredictable situations. In fact, most of the service providers offer 24 x 7 travel assistance.
Let’s see major features of domestic travel insurance:
Accidental Death or Disablement – The beneficiary receives coverage in case of loss of life of the insured individual due to an accident on a trip. This also covers permanent total disablement due to an accident.
Loss of Baggage – The coverage is offered for checked-in baggage to allow the individuals to purchase new items in case of theft or loss during transit.
Trip Cancellation – In an event of cancellation of a trip due to sickness, major injury or death, coverage related to travel and accommodation charges paid are offered.
Trip Delay – Coverage is offered for flight delays beyond a certain period of time after the scheduled departure. The time period for this benefit is usually 6 hours.
Personal Liability – This is a new feature added by some service providers, as a part of which accidental damage to the property of other individuals is covered.
Emergency Cash – A lot of insurers offer coverage in case a traveller loses cash while on a trip. This feature itself makes the travel insurance worth buying.
The features and the coverage vary from insurer to insurer.
Any India national traveling by Road/Rail/Air within the boundaries of India is eligible for domestic travel insurance. Even an international traveler, who is visiting the India for business or leisure purpose, can purchase domestic travel insurance by submitting the necessary documents like work permit, etc. The companies offer the insurance cover to individuals with six months to 70 years of age.
Popular Travel Insurance Policies in the Market
Some popular travel insurance providers in India include TATA AIG Insurance, Bajaj Allianz, ICICI Lombard, Apollo Munich and Bank of India. The companies like Tata AIG offer emergency medical evacuation through their domestic travel insurance policies. A lot of companies offer a call back for individuals interested in purchasing the insurance. The individuals can clarify their doubts during these calls.
It becomes necessary to check what’s excluded from policy to be prepared while making a claim. General exclusions from the policies include:
- Complications arising due to pregnancy, childbirth (including caesarian), miscarriage.
- Venereal diseases, STDs, including AIDS and conditions arising due to HIV/AIDS like tuberculosis, Lymphomas in brain and Kaposi’s sarcoma.
- In case the insured individual is traveling against the advice of his doctor/medical practitioner, s/he is not eligible for the claim.
- Items of personal comfort like cosmetics, personal care products and foodstuff.
- Drugs or treatment not prescribed by a medical practitioner.
- Accident or complication arising due to the consumption of alcohol and drugs.
- The individual’s involvement or participation in military/naval/air force operations. Also, participation in semi-professional or professional sporting and adventure sports like mountain climbing and scuba diving.
- Nervous and psychological disorders, including stress, anxiety, depression and suicidal tendencies.
- Non allopathic treatment, like ayurveda or homeopathy.
- An individual, who is a part of civil commotion, terrorist activities and other types of crimes, is also excluded from the coverage.
The benefits discussed above show that having domestic travel insurance is a must for individuals. A lot of insurers allow the individuals to file for claims by uploading the relevant documents online. You can compare the travel insurance policies through policy comparison sites to choose a plan that offers a maximum cover with minimum possible premium.