Buying car insurance is not a guarantee that it will definitely pay for damages in case your car meets with an accident. To ensure that your car claims are foolproof to be approved by the insurance company, you have to follow certain guidelines.
Let’s take you through 15 tips that can make your car insurance claim succeed:
1) Don’t let your car be driven by an unlicensed driver, ever! The insurance company will reject your claim even if it was the other party’s fault in an accident.
2) Ensure your car is worth driving on the road. If it is revealed that the car had problems and wasn’t fit enough to be driven, it gives a valid reason to the insurer to reject claims on your car insurance policy.
3) If you have been doing careless driving for a while and if the insurance company finds notices issued in your name for over-speeding or breaking any traffic rules in the past, it can reject claim basis irresponsible driving behavior.
4) No drunk driving. Period. Even a whiff of alcohol on you at the time of driving is enough for your claim to be rejected.
5) Get your car inspected by an authorized mechanic or surveyor at the time of renewing or buying car insurance even if it takes some time or bit of an extra expense. This would help you massively in claiming for damages as records will show the actual condition of your car at the time of commencement of the policy.
6) Furnish correct information at the time of buying car insurance policy including any breaks between renewing the policy or any previous claims and damages filed for. Incorrect information is a sure shot recipe for rejection of claims.
7) Use your vehicle for purposes as mentioned in the form filled while applying for insurance. If you’re using personal vehicle for business purposes, this can be considered an excuse to deny you the claims.
8) In case of an accident, click the pictures of accident site immediately and gather all possible information in great detail to be filed with the insurer and do not forget to inform the police for adequate reporting and proof.
9) Report the details with the insurance company as soon as because insurance companies have a norm of considering claims only if the accident is reported within a stipulated time frame.
10) Do no admit fault in a moment of trauma and adrenaline rush. Let experts find out the reasons and leave it on insurance companies to do their survey.
11) Take the car for repair only after getting a go-ahead from your insurer and only to an authorized garage. If you take action without informing or getting a confirmation from the insurer, your claim might be rejected.
12) Report the accident as it happened without exaggerating the facts.
13) In case of theft of your car, the onus lie on you to prove that you had not parked your car carelessly. Also, it makes more sense to have an anti-theft tracker installed in the car, for which you can claim lower premiums and at the time of theft, can get claims processed more easily.
14) Aggressive follow up with the insurer is a must to get your claims approved. Keep following up on a regular basis to make sure that action is taken on your file.
15) Read through your policy documents to understand things your vehicle is covered for. It helps when filing for claims by saving time and money by only chasing claims if you’re eligible for them in the first place.
Car insurance in India is a fairly mature market and insurance companies have no problems with paying out genuine claims. At the same time they need to take care of their business aspects so that only genuine claims are paid. Better do your groundwork carefully and be genuine from your end; it would make it difficult for insurers to reject your claim, if its genuine.